Friday, February 1, 2013

FINALLY,WE ARE IN PRODUCTION!!



 
  I did a blog awhile back "THEN THERE WERE NONE" about the attack and demise of all our chickens by a rogue possum.
 We started all over with baby chicks and finally they have grown up enough to start laying eggs. Helped by a light bulb in their coup to trick them into thinking the days are longer!!

 

Unfortunately, one of the Araucana hens that lay the green eggs turned out to be a ROOSTER!  He is a real brut in more ways then one but a Beaut with a very lusty crow. He has now found a new home!! After a short stint as poster boy on craigs list.

Love these farm fresh eggs.  Taste so much better and whip up nicely for cooking.  In fact, I had to whip up my favorite Lemon pie with my first fresh eggs and some Meyer lemons!  SWEET!!!

Lemon Cake Pudding was one of my dad's favorite deserts, so I was thrilled when I found this recipe for Lemon Cake Pie. I was perusing an article THE DESSERT COLLECTOR--"Baker Susan LaRosa rescues vintage cookbooks and cherished family recipes in search of forgotten favorites." 

 
This recipe is vintage, easy and just delicious!!  The pie has a lemon custard pudding layer which is topped with lemon cake.I have 'tweaked' the recipe a little. (don't need a cup of sugar as called for in the original!) Here is my version:

LEMON CAKE PIE
1/2 cup sugar
2 T flour
2 Tbl butter, melted
Zest of 1-2 lemons
1/4 cup lemon juice (5 Tablespoons) MEYER LEMONS ARE MY FAVORITE!
2 large eggs, yolks and whites separated
1 cup milk


MEYER LEMONS
  • Heat oven to 425 degrees F. with rack in the lower third. Stir together flour, sugar, butter, zest, lemon juice, egg yolks, and milk. In a separate bowl beat egg whites to stiff peaks and fold into lemon mixture.

  • Pour into crust and bake 10 minutes. Reduce oven to 350 degrees F. and bake until a knife inserted into center comes out clean, about 30 minutes. If top of pie gets too dark, tent with foil. 
"BON APPETIT"



3 comments:

Cowgirl said...

MMmmmmm, mmmmm, mmm.

I love this recipe but only when you make it for me...mine does not turn out as good but I will try it again.
Also, this is a fine example of a what a blog post should be...not like the sheee-eet that some people try to get away with!
There outta be a law.

I agree there is no-thing as wonderful as farm fresh eggs from happy and well cared for hens...like at the F.Farm!
xo/me

Anonymous said...

Hi. I like your blog and this recipe sounds good.

Susan said...

Oh, I'm so jealous that you get your eggs so, um, locally! And love the story about the Arucana rooster!