Monday, December 5, 2011

ROASTING CHESTNUTS ON AN OPEN FIRE. . .

And Jack Frost IS nipping(CHOMPING) at my toes . . .
But this roasting chestnuts has got to be a urban myth!! Imagine you will, a lovely bag of chestnuts!! You can even imagine them IN FRONT of an open fire!! A friend of mind gave me such a bag and I SHOULD HAVE just thrown them INTO an open fire, but instead I thought I would prepare them for eating. I vaguely remembered that some years ago, I had made this same decision and regretted it. I was making some stuffing and found that the peeling was so tedious, I said I would NEVER do that again. But alas, the memory faded and I thought that perhaps, I just didn't have the correct technique. So after doing some research on the internet. . . I began the task of MUTILATING the chestnuts. There was nothing wrong with my technique upteen years ago. It was fairly easy to shell the outer shell, but to remove the "pellicle" (the pinkish inner skin) proved to be "hellicle".
I did manage to rescue a few. . . enough to flavor some soup possibly. . . In the future, I will honor my gut feeling. . .
BUY THEM PEELED!

3 comments:

Cowgirl said...

Oh, but I beg to differ. I love the quintessential roasted chestnut and believe they are worth the effort...but...I understand that sometimes (and I do not know why) they present that peeling problem. Its a crap shoot with chestnuts. Did you try roasting them with some water in the pan? That seems to do the trick most of the time.

ciao for now...xo

Anonymous said...

Cowgirl sounds much like a bit of a "smarty-pants"... just sayin' Like a "professional" nut roaster....

Cartoon Characters said...

I have never tasted a roasted chestnut....but I love the song!

Thanks for reading my blog!! :)

Its fun to find out who is reading my blog. Sometimes I think it's just me! ;)